Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm a single mom...raising a banana.


So my son, Ban, was born on Wednesday, November 17th, 2010.



All was good. I set Ban down next to me. A while later, I left my room to take the garbage out to the curb, then I washed a few dishes, then made some hot cocoa. I went back to my room and saw Ban laying there. I immediately thought, 'Oh no! Ban! I left him all alone!' It made me think of those old advertisements that said, "It's 5 o'clock. Do you know where you're children are?" This was going to take some getting used to.

So I only had to get up once in the night because I only slept for 6 hours. Because of the night before, I was afraid that I was going to forget Ban at home the next day when I went to school. But I did remember. I have to say that I knew carrying Ban around all day would be annoying, but seriously--it was way annoying!! Especially when I left my headlights on and had to recruit strangers to jump start my car. And when I spent a few hours going to multiple auto parts stores to figure what I need to re-wire my car. Disassembling the front of my car (to work on the headlights) with a banana is not easy, so I finally just put him in the driver's seat. And then forgot about him when I went back into the auto parts store.

The bottom line is that though I had him with almost the whole time, I would still consider it a parenting epic fail, because you can't just forget babies in the car, and in your room when you do chores.

However, I doubt I would forget a real baby so easily. I have lived with a newborn baby before. I was always aware of his presence and got to do the fun stuff like putting him to bed every night. Granted, I did not have to do a lot of the messy stuff and don't think I want to have that responsibility yet.

2 comments:

  1. I see that our experiences were quite similar! It's amazing that a small change in our lives can really throw us for a loop. I would like to think that I would be more prepared if I had a real child, but who knows. Obviously we would care more for a real child but I thought this was a great exercise because it helped us imagine a time when we have will have to re-prioritize in life. I also liked that you chose a banana for your child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you added a picture and a birthdate! I agree that if your banana were a real baby, you would be much more careful about tending to it. My mom has told me that before I have kids I have to get a puppy. It is a live thing that I have to take care of and take seriously, but is not a life changing event like having a baby.

    ReplyDelete